Thursday, March 01, 2007

One man's treasure

In gathering my belongings at work in preparation for my move to a new desk, one that actually sees visible rays of sunlight for a period of 11-12 minutes in the later afternoons, May-August, I'm finding that my residence for the past two years has come to resemble those dusty old closets in which wizened old Chinese men keep their mogwai and cursed monkey paws. Some oddities:

For my job, I communicate with a large number of institutions, and often am required to send them prepaid packages with which to return documents to me, for which I select the postage. These are the supremely gay Legends of Hollywood "Judy Garland" stamps, which I use for institutions that I loathe more than the usual (institutions that I like/have yet to incur my wrath get the venerable "Baseball Sluggers"). The idea of a tightass, Old BoyVice President bringing an envelope covered in Liza's mom to the mailroom not only keeps me from puncturing major arteries with office supplies, but sometimes even turns my frown into a blank, neutral expression on mornings when I'm still particularly drunk.



This is a small pot made for me by a coworker taking "Ceramics I" as her elective when getting her Master's so she could leave this very job. While touched by the gesture, I was immediately informed that this was her practice pot, and that the glaze is highly poisonous, so it's not really suitable for, you know, use. I use it to store the cough drops I offer to people who reheat fish in the microwave.

These are the pictures on my bulletin board. Since I'm unmarried, my family avoids the camera with a Jackal-like consistency, and I have no pictures of friends that do not involve beverages or obscene gestures, I've appropriated pictures from other sources so as to appear normal.
1. This is a photomagnet of a lanky, awkward teenage girl and her trusty basketball, left by the previous owner of the bulletin board. I tell people it's my daughter (I'm 27) and she's a star power forward, then watch their faces as they privately wonder if their own teenager is having sex.
2. This is a picture sent in by a young man trying to get something published, following the ever-important seventh step to succeeding in business-"Make sure to include a photo of yourself topless". I think he looks like a dickhead. When people ask if he's my boyfriend, I say "No, he's a dickhead."
3. This came as a placeholder in a coworker's wedding album, and I put it on my bulletin board so that people will assume that I came from the hard-knock, tuberculosis-ridden streets of Limerick, and that when I say "If you could, please get back to me at your earliest convenience", they know that I fucking mean it.


This is my collection of miniaturized items brought back to me by a coworker that actually gets sent places for work (it included an impossibly adorable mini-Tabasco bottle until this past weekend, when I made a batch of impossibly adorable Bloody Marys). I 've never thought to ask where he gets sent that he's given so many tiny foodstuffs. Perhaps our company does a lot of business in Lilliput.



This is my jar of forks, soy sauce, and a shower cap. I had assumed most cubicle-dwellers have one, but upon further inspection last week, I realized that it's just me, and that this jar makes me look like I'm batshit insane.


This is the collection of highly-processed food I keep at my desk for when I need to eat dinner before going out, which coworkers tell me looks like the contents of a freshman boy's dorm room. I laugh goodnaturedly, but if ever we're all forced to live in a fallout shelter following a nuclear war that unexpectedly occurs between the hours of 9-5 M-F, I am so fucking not sharing.


These are the pumpkin-flavored Godiva chocolates sent to me by my grandmother around the holidays. They are without a doubt the most vile, putrid thing I have ever put in my mouth, and it was only out of sheer inflexibility that I did not immediately lick the bottom of my shoe to get rid of the taste. I keep these around for two reasons; one, in the hopes that someone will actually take one of these when I casually offer it to them, and two, so that on especially rotten days, I can say to myself "Hey, at least I'm not in the midst of swallowing a pumpkin-flavored Godiva chocolate", which really helps me put things in perspective.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

27 Comments:

At March 01, 2007 5:36 PM, Blogger Finn McMatter said...

If they are so vile, why are TWO Godiva chocolates missing? Either you're a liar or there's a story behind it... do tell.

 
At March 01, 2007 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really questioning my own good taste.....I love pumpkin Godiva chocolates!!! That pictures precedes your comments and I honestly wondered: "How does she have the willpower to save them this long!?!?!?!" Then I read that bit about shoe licking.....this is Marla, by the way.

 
At March 02, 2007 9:20 AM, Blogger Ryan Jett said...

I like to keep a fishbowl of sauce packets, especially from Chinese restaurants. My inspiration is Michael J. Fox's massive collection in Secret of My Success. I also have copious amounts of ketchup packets, as one day I hope to cover an entire paper mache sculpture with them and blast it to pieces with a shotgun, which should look pretty gruesome. These are probably the thoughts that prevent me from interacting successfully with other people.

 
At March 02, 2007 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where's the red stapler?

 
At March 02, 2007 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always had a cup with forks and sauces in it, too. Never thought twice about until today. Deb

 
At March 05, 2007 12:01 AM, Blogger canadian sadie said...

Heh...Anthony and I had the same thought. They couldn't have been THAT bad. Were you wearing new shoes the first day, so you thought they just tasted like new leather?

 
At March 07, 2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Clinton said...

When I moved into the cubicle I currently occupy, I found that the previous dweller had left a drawer filled (and I mean FILLED) with plastic cutlery, wasabi, ketchup, mustard, honey, soy sauce and just about every other condiment outside of sambal or expensive French sea salt that one could imagine.

I've always wanted to send him a thank you note but... eh. I'll just eat his wasabi instead.

 
At April 04, 2007 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures. Those are hilarious, and I wish they were by my desk.

 
At November 14, 2009 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At January 02, 2010 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a text from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with my little brother!!! So like any upset boy friend I have selected to broadcast every nude video I have of her to the net. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At January 03, 2010 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I have the money, how do I make it grow in forex trading?
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://exapto.com/xe/index.php?action=profile;u=1194]unlock iphone[/url]

 
At January 17, 2010 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a phone call from my girl friend that she has been sleeping with my uncle!!! So like any upset boy friend I have selected to post every naked pic I have of her to the world wide web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At January 18, 2010 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now periactin Order betagan Get lexapro RX eurax Cheap lioresal No prescription myambutol

 
At January 22, 2010 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been having sex with my little brother!!! So like any upset boy friend I have decided to post every nude pic I have of her to the web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At January 25, 2010 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

incurred mere oklahoma fiji headquarters affiliate stifling raghav injurious become kanpani
servimundos melifermuly

 
At January 27, 2010 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

imperial definable journey radiation overgrown secondment orbison business deed lancet toeven
servimundos melifermuly

 
At January 31, 2010 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with my friend!!! So like any upset boy friend I have selected to post every spicy picture I have of her to the world wide web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 11, 2010 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my dad!!! So like any good boy friend I have choosen to upload every naked video I have of her to the world wide web. I have uploaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 13, 2010 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a email from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my little brother!!! So like any pissed boy friend I have choosen to share every nude video I have of her to the internet. I have uploaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 14, 2010 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a text from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with my little brother!!! So like any pissed boy friend I have decided to download every naked flick I have of her to the internet. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 14, 2010 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a voice mail from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with my dad!!! So like any good boy friend I have choosen to broadcast every sexy clip I have of her to the web. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 14, 2010 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a voice mail from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with my best friend!!! So like any upset boy friend I have selected to share every naked flick I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 14, 2010 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with another guy!!! So like any fucked up boy friend I have choosen to upload every spicy clip I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

 
At February 18, 2010 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[B]XrumerSEO.com[/B]
We will Blast your site to 250,000 - 6 Million+ Forums, Blogs etc.. with an SEO Optimised Post targeting your chosen keywords, which will increase your Search Engine Rank Positions & provide an Instant Traffic Increase. [URL=http://xrumerseo.com]xrumer service[/URL]

 
At February 26, 2010 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

I'm quite new at trading fx and looking for help.

What strike me is how much money I have been able to make.

The last 3 weeks I have made in excess of 9000 pounds using [url=http://www.forex-fx-forex.info]this easy tool[/url].

My question to you is:Will this trading success really last?

Any feeback are much appreciated.

ATB

 
At February 28, 2010 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys... I'm new here but I can not wait to start off having/getting a few wonderful chats with you all! I just decided i would introduce myself to you all so hi there!

 
At March 01, 2010 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bingo is a gambling card game named by analogy to the game [url=http://www.onlinebingochief.com]play bingo[/url]. Each player is dealt X cards and Y cards are dealt face down in common. The value of each hand is the sum of the values of each card, where the cards have blackjack values. The cards on the board are gradually revealed with opportunities to bet along the way. Bingo is usually played high-low with the pot being split between the players with the highest and lowest point totals. The exception would be if one player loses all his cards he takes the entire pot.

One example of play is "Sixty Six Bingo". Each player gets six cards and there are six common cards. In this case there would be rounds of betting before any common cards are turned over, after the first two cards are turned over, after the third and fourth cards are turned over and after the fifth and sixth cards are turned over.

While similar to the game [url=http://www.onlinebingochief.com]online bingo[/url], the card game should not be confused with [url=http://www.onlinebingochief.com]bingo[/url] cards, which are used to play bingo or housie.

Play Bingo Online: http://www.onlinebingochief.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home